Saturday, January 9, 2010

Youth Can Be Stressful

If you know me, then you would know that there is nothing better in my life than Saturday morning football. The only thing that can improve Saturday morning football is the addition or subtraction of different variables and conditions to the Saturday morning football experience. For example, when it is very hot--the pleasure experienced by the event is lessened. However, when conditions are snowy--the pleasure is exponentially increased. Exponentially, because chances of blood increase exponentially with each new footstep (uneven surface) in the snow. Today is Saturday. This morning was Saturday morning. Football was played. Tackles were made. And blood appeared swiftly and frequently.

Saturday morning football, though a worthy diversion, is not what brings me back to blogging. There are so many experiences I need to write about so as to glean something from them, but knowing that people read this blog somewhat affects my choice of content. I have thought about blogging on a couple movies I saw over break. There are more man-bag stories to be told. Antioch, in itself, is blog worthy. I feel like a kid every time I go back, and let's get this straight--I am still a child at heart. I do no have anything figured out. The things I thought I had "figured out" about life were mentally debunked in my brief stay back home.

The topic which interests me and exhausts my patience lately is that of choosing a Major, or more broadly, "The Future." In reality, I am afraid of something that does not and never will exist. The Future is just some word someone thought up to define the decisions we will make someday, to distract us or motivate us to make the right decisions today. I don't think very often about the current while in the present, I often think about the current while lost in the future.

What I am basically saying, is that I don't know what I want to do with my life.

In the past 2 weeks I have changed my major multiple times. First, I was content with German and Philosophy. Second, I was wholeheartedly for Athletic Training. Then I learned about Athletic training and started to like Clinical Laboratory Science. Third, I decided that Genetics was closer to what sounds interesting to me. Then, lastly, I decided that I don't want to decide. Wouldn't things, in a way, be much easier if we were hunter-gatherers? You grow up knowing exactly what you are going to be someday and you are good at it when the time comes. Minus the potential loincloth, of course.

If anyone has had inspiration on what I am supposed to be doing with my life, please inform me. Otherwise I may indeed look into becoming a hunter-gatherer.

6 comments:

  1. What happened to the driving post? Well this post was great anyway. You should just write books about Philosophy and German and Athletic Training and Clinical Laboratory Science and Genetics and Saturday morning football and crab sandwhiches. Put everything you love into one! Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, first things first: good luck un-sticking yourself. I hear it's not easily done.

    That said, here's an equation that just came to mind. It's a shabby attempt to model some of the major factors (or influences) involved in making a career decision. There's no conceptual basis for this anywhere, at least that I know of. I'm just making it up. So, take it for what it's worth.

    Career choice = personal attributes/talents/predispositions + monetary considerations + social pressures + personal and familial vocational history + conscious attitudes/desires + unconscious attitudes/desires + available opportunities + advice from others + chance

    Now, I realize there's probably some big stuff missing and that the equation format is kind of deceiving, given that real-life decision making is never mathematical and all of the factors aren't equally weighted. But anyway, maybe just thinking about each of these key factors and the influence they are (or should) be having in your situation might help?

    I don't know. Like I said, good luck!

    P.S. But whatever you decide to do, don't stop blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you've returned to the blogosphere! Saturday morning football sounds like a blast. i forgot you're from Antioch. I miss that place. I haven't been there in 8 years. Philosophy and German would be good if you plan to go to graduate school or professional school, and you seem to be a very talented writer and a good thinker. Plus its cool and you'll get to take some awesome German literature classes. CLS is good if you never want to go to school again, and there's always lots of jobs in hopsitals. It's hard to decide, but I think in the end you just have to do what your heart tells you. It's likely you'll be successful in whatever you choose, so just pick what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop stressing and just have some fun. Life will come at you fast enough. Oh, and sorry your visit home for the holidays was a deflater. I still love ya dude.
    Mother

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know, my inspiration usually comes from the inspiring words of others so...

    "All members of the church should seek for the gift of prophecy for their own guidance. Which is the spirit by which the word of the Lord is understood and his purposes are made known."
    ~President Joseph Fielding Smith

    Basically what I'm trying to say is something you have already thought about/done. Pray about it, take it to the temple with you. Heavenly Father is your only friend who can see the future. He knows you, he knows your heart, he knows how you can best be of service to His other children. He may not tell you directly what to do, but he can turn you in the general direction so that you are not wandering, but you are being guided. Remember that our life choices are not always about us. Our time and talents are often used to benefit others... and He knows those people and their necessities too.

    Now that I wrote all of that, did it help at all, or make it worse?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite part of this post is your purse in the picture

    ReplyDelete