Thursday, February 9, 2012

Wisdom

Since I have a lot more time on my hands these days, I do things like google "quotes" and read what follows. Here are some of my favorites from my hour of quote reading last night:

Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts.

To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution.

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Be content to seem what you really are.

-Marcus Aurelius

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

-Abraham Lincoln

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell.

-Confucius

Concern for man and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors. Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.

Information is not knowledge.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.

Love is a better teacher than duty.

Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it.

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.

-Albert Einstein



No comments:

Post a Comment