Monday, February 6, 2012

Meaning.

A funny thing happens when you aren't sharing your thoughts. They either tend to lose meaning or you tend to lose them altogether. So, here I am sharing my thoughts in hopes that they will always be meaningful to me.

I've been thinking a lot about "meaning" lately. "Purpose" might also serve as a useful synonym, but I like "meaning" even more. It feels more fundamental. Where do we get purpose and meaning in our lives? I'd realized sometime last week that my life didn't feel very meaningful. Going to DC this past weekend made me realize why that was.

I think meaning in life is derived from the level to which we give ourselves to others. We are infants when it comes to trying to supply our own lives with meaning. We need the help and support of others if we want to feel like life has any purpose. When others are absent from our lives, the meaning we felt when they were present disappears slowly after their leaving.

But life feels so meaningful now!

A promise to an amazing girl is filling my life with so much purpose right now that I can hardly contain it! I am lucky to be loved. I am lucky to be able to love. And love her I do.

And love is the greatest meaning I can possibly imagine.



1 comment:

  1. Mmm I love this post. I love it most because I am so happy for you, but I also love how our thoughts collide on many things. Love your sight of meaning, good thoughts Ry. Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete