Sunday, September 26, 2010

the old lady in Cana

I've had some time to do some leisurely reading today for the first time in weeks. I picked up Nikos Kazantzakis' The Last Temptation of Christ, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Here is a line from the book spoken from an old woman in Cana as young Jesus runs away to join a monastery in the desert:

“…Don’t you know that God is found not in monasteries but in the homes of men! Wherever you find husband and wife, that’s where you find God; wherever children and petty cares and cooking and arguments and reconciliations, that’s where God is too. Don’t listen to those eunuchs. Sour Grapes! Sour Grapes! The God I’m telling you about, the domestic one, not the monastic: that’s the true God. He’s the one you should adore. Leave the other to those lazy, sterile idiots in the desert!”

-Nikos Kazantzakis

2 comments:

  1. I love this. I am just getting plugged into a life group at my church & we were talking about the vision and desires for our group & we all began talking about what church looked like in ancient times. Like meals, and people gathered together in a home living life together and living in faith together, rather than so corporate and formal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the film version of this (written by Paul Schrader and directed by Martin Scorsese who are both believers, btw) and found it to be very intriguing and uplifting in an odd way. It might be worth checking out after you finish the book. I'm interested in what you'd think of it.

    ReplyDelete