Tuesday, August 17, 2010

High School Philosophy

I sat in the back of the class next to the door senior year of high school in Mr. Meyer's philosophy class. I could avoid being called on, or so I thought, from there and could observe the class as a whole. I also sat directly beneath a Stephen Crane poem called In the Desert. I spent the entire year trying to understand that poem--mainly in the time spent sitting in my seat before class, or during a boring lecture, or during a 5 minute class break. It intrigued me deeply. I nearly love this poem, its darkness and all. The wall of an intro philosophy class is perfect setting for this poem, I believe. I'm glad I encountered it first there.

In the Desert

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter - bitter," he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
and because it is my heart."


-Stephen Crane

1 comment: