Sunday, October 24, 2010

John Wooden on TED

I was eating my turkey sandwich in the Wilkinson Center last wednesday and decided to put the BYU WiFi to use and log onto TED talks. If you haven't seen the website yet, it is a collection of talks and presentations from inspiring people around the world.

I watched a presentation by John Wooden, former UCLA basketball coach. He talked about 'true success'. I really liked it; it was refreshing. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out.


Here were some things I wrote down:

No written word or spoken plea
Can teach our youth what they ought to be
Nor all the books on all the shelves;
It is what the teachers are themselves.

Your reputation is what you are perceived to be, and your character is what you really are.

Giving all, it seems to me,
Is not so far from victory.
And so the fates are seldom wrong,
No matter how they twist and whine,
It's you and I who make our fate
We open up or close the gates
On the road ahead
Or the road behind.

If you become too engrossed and involved and concerned with the things over which you have no control it will adversely affect the things over which you have control.

No comments:

Post a Comment